Wednesday, October 9, 2013

First side panel bagged


All day marathon bagging the first side panel. 

I started the day off by cutting my biax about 2" over the chine. Turns out I only had material to do right up to the chine. The extra material messed up the taper of the second side panel making it a few free short. I have more 12 oz biax on the way and I will use the extra I have for the decks and transom to beef them up. Expensive mistake but it happens.

I got all the materials precut, weighed, and tacked roughly in place. I tack taped the perimeter of the bag off the chine tape, stem tape, transom tape and the inside funnel line edge which was already glassed. I left the gunwale holes open and just taped over them on the inside so they were inside the bag. Ill use these to hold the frame in while I flip the boat over.

Got started glassing after dinner. Michelle helped out and I am glad because I needed it. We glassed for the better part of 3 hours  before we had all the cloth saturated. That polyester soaks resin up. Luckily everything is bagged. I mixed a few extra batches to ensure everything got wet out good. I got the bag on about 4 hrs in, a bit late but fine. It's cold out there and I was using slow hardener. Of course the bag was a nightmare. Seated the bag turned on the pump and no vac. Go around and found some huge holes on the inner gunwale where I had tacked earlier in the night. Chased a few big leaks in the thru bag connector and the nose and was finally able to get some vac but not too much. Just below 10" hg.  I played with some of the leaks holding my ear to the edge of the bag.  Once I had vac they were easier to find. I got to about 12.5" hg and got stuck there. I hand cycled the pump a few times and  found  a few small leaks. There was one somewhere near the thru bag connector and the nose I just couldent find and seal. I had been chasing leaks for hours and it was 6 am with the sun coming up so I called it. The pump was holding about 13" when I went to bed, in the am when I woke up it was holding 14" and running constantly. Looks like I got good resin bleed thru the release film, but not too much at all. At the top edge I may have gotten some shop towel breather bonded where it overhung the peelply by a tiny bit. Ill just scrape and sand these spots level when I come thru and level the tape lines before I pull the bottom layup. 

I'm waiting on that 12 oz so ill prob precut and weigh materials for the other side in the meantime since that takes the better part of a day. I may lay some mini fillets on the inside panel joints right at the junction to make it easier to deal the tack tape at the edge. May also try to glass the transom while I am waiting, then pulling the hull should be reasonable easy.






No comments:

Post a Comment