Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Another one in the bag

Got a late start today and went around town running errands and getting more supplies for the vacuum bag. More shop towels, and another roll of butyl tape. The batting hardly wetted out at all on the other piece so I was able to pull some off and reuse it for the next panel. I have left the peel ply and everything else on the panel for now. Give it more time to kick and its protection for the panel on the meantime. I think I'll leave them while the temporaries are in and slowly pull them as the assemble the real bulkhead into place. Seems like I got a little print thru from the wrinkles in the bag, not a big deal these will be buried under hatches inside the boat, and a quick and easy fairing would fix it if I wanted. I liken this to the thin breather I am using with the shop towels and the 6 mil plastic. For panels where I need a nice finish I will probably do batting for breather on the whole panel. Stuff that's hidden I'll go cheaper. I also think better bagging film would have helped. I'm going to use some thinner plastic on the top for the bottom inside panel. Ill also be getting some real bagging film for pulling the outside bottom where I need it to stretch. I can reuse this big for the bottom panel of the hull, plus I have a few feet on the roll left to bag bulkheads and such. I may try to get a cloths iron, and iron a shirt over the plastic to smooth it out. Ill give it a test first.

Got right back into it this afternoon. Strung out my glass to make sure it was the right size, weighed it on the scale. One layer was the same weight as the one on the first panel. The other one was 2 ounces over. Took my prior calculation, added the 2 ounces extra resin, and pre poured all my resin for the whole layup arrannged per sheet of glass. I mixed up my 290 gm bog with silica and glass bubbles and started to roll it out on the panel. Was a little shy at the end so I mixed up another 145gm batch and finished prepping the panel. Then I layered my 45 degree layer on, pulling the bias till it fit. Then i came over with the precut 9oz sheet and laid it over top. Instead of going one layer at a time, I just went for it, since it was only two layers of glass. I started mixing batches, pouring a section, using the spatula to squeegee resin over the area til it wet out both layers. Did that til I had the majority of the cloth wet out, then I started attacking the edges with resin and the spatula. Finally I came over with the roller and the final layers and worked the resin in, wetting out any last sections and moving big air bubbles out. Once I got that done I tried to work quick to fit the peel ply which was on the roll backwards, then lay 2 roll of shop paper towels for breather, with the batting tunnel down the center. Bubble wrap and breather under the fitting, at the head of the bag. I covered my butyl from yesterday with wax paper strips when I opened the bag so I was able to reuse most of the tape. Had to re tape a few sections, but those sections then sealed really easy with double width tape. I had one leak in the center of the bag that was a bitch. It was audible and annoying. Yet I couldn't find it...it was on a pleat in the bag somewhere. I tried butyl tape, packing tape, a butyl taped window around. Not much could stop it. The pump was cycling on like every minute. Annoying... I used the roller to get it to where it wasent making noise and the pump cycled once every 3 min or so. Not great, but whatever, the pump will take care of it. Ill give the pump a break tommorrow.

Tommorow ill Prep the bottom panels for joining, then glue them together on the shop floor while I still have this open space. Then ill stand them up here in the shop till I have an assembled hull shape, where ill try and bag the floor draped over the hull i shape as it cures.













No comments:

Post a Comment