Saturday, March 30, 2013

Side panels cut

Another warm one today. Woke up late from the gig yesterday and decided to put off skiing another day. Its been non stop work and skiing since november and since things have slowed down i need a couple days to just chill. Brewed a batch of beer with johnny today, a stone ipa clone. smells great, well see how it tastes 6 wks from now.tonight it was Time to get some work done. Today's mission was a nerve wracking one. Cutting my 1/2 corecell panels to size for side panels. Not nerve wracking because it was difficult to do, but because at $180 a 4x8 sheet even one wrong cut can get expensive in a hurry. Last night I made a simple jig to cradle the blade cover on my box cutter and keep it straight.. This jig holds the blade vertical and the guide runs along a fence for a straight and ideally vertical cut. I knew the chances of getting a clean cut were slim by hand and I did not want to screw it up. Corecell cuts easy with a razor but it Took about 6 passes to get thru. I clamped the 4x8 sheets to a chipboard 4x8 bottom with cardboard between and used a spare white oak batten I had laying around from the wood boat. As a guide and fence. I triple checked measurements before I cut and I checked and traced my panels when I made copies to ensure I had identical panels. Came out good. The side panel layout on this boat is like a highsided mckenzie but a little smaller to make the layout fit with 3 panels. A traditional high side mckenzie is 27" at the locks. Mine will be just under 26". The panel looks like a 16' ft mckenzie panel with 2" height added and 1' tacked onto the end for length. I'm leaning twords epoxying the pieces together. I need some fillers to do so, might be a couple days before I'm ready to glue the pieces together.











No comments:

Post a Comment