Monday, May 6, 2013

Got to keep movin'

Slow couple of days around here. Slow steady progess. Fixed the broken horn in the old boat. My trailer has a flat so I need to fix that and I should probably reinforce my repair underneath and on the other horn so it doesn't break again.

Got out on the river a bit. Low water grow ventre is fun stuff. Low water bashing in a creek boat, felt good to be out on the river,

I got the floor panel wrapped in plastic and moved into in the wood shed. I used a couple sheets of 1/2 marine ply I had laying around as a wall to lean against. It's out of my life for now. I pulled back some of the peel ply on the panels to check my finish. Looks good. Way better than i could have done by hand. cheap vacuum bagging is awesome! Areas where two cloths met or edges were all squashed down flat and smooth to the touch. awesome! Even resin distribution, and a smooth almost velvety finish that will be great for secondary bonding.. The edges where the glass met the corners were rough so I put on my space suit, mask and goggles used a hand sander on a 45 to nip the glass off right at the corner. I hate sanding fiberglass. I think most of the reason I wanted to bag the boat was so I could sand less fiberglass. Yucky! Itchy! . The first panel that I left in the bag long enough had nice wrapped edges that cleaned up quickly and easily. The one I pulled early had goo bond to the face, but no wrap on the edges. Too quick pulling it out of the bag. I dressed the edges on the sheer. Looks good.

Then I realized I pulled an idiot measure twice cut once moment. I made a mistake I had made many times while building models and forgot to flip the second side panel for glassing so I glassed the same side of two panels. Luckily I realized this whole thing while I was laying out the trace cut from the first panel. The taper in the panels match so the chine becomes the sheer of the second panel and ill trace it to size of the first panel. The chine cut was pretty even. Not as good as the factory sheer I tried to use but ill make it work, the two panels are very close. It'll get buried in gunwales anyhow and the wood will find the right curve and make up the difference.

I found one spot I screwed up from when I pulled the first panel too early and I have a spot about an inch deep and 5-6 inches long where the core lifted off the face. This will be buried in gunwales also but ill fix it with a cabosil mix before.

Got one panel cut with the stem arc measured and cut and the the 3 transom cut options marked and the shallowest one cut. 36 tip jigsaw and a Fence makes a nice straight cut. Ill need to cut some long 18 ft battens for helping loft the boat full scale and to draw this huge 14.5 ft arc 1" deep I need to cut into the chine. Then ill trace this panel onto the other panel, cut it, then line the two up clamped together and fair them both dead even. Then time to stitch with temporaries and loft full scale.



























No comments:

Post a Comment