Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Looks like a boat

I've often watched brad dimocks blog to see him assemble boats in an impossible amount of time. They turn on the go pro, start assembling, and before you know it brad is doing a dance on the bottom and taking a whiskey shot. I think I figured out how he does it...special effects. Either that or alot of helpers. Seems that guys always has people stopping by to gawk at his newest project, only to find themselves screw gun in hand hours later, boat building until the wee hours of the night.

Unfortunatly, I have neither special effects or a huge crew of helpers to get my boat assembled. So my assemble has been going painfully slow. If I only had 4 sets of hands or about 40 more clamps everything would probably work out just fine, but again, working with limited resources, things have been going frustratingly slow. The first day I just gave up. There was no way to assemble the stem and transom wi out another set of hands, and I was just slowly denting and wrecking my panels trying to keep things roughly to shape. It's definatly not the same as building paper models, although I have been assembling in roughly the same sequence of events. Today, thru sheer perse reverence and about 100 zip ties I managed to pull the hull into its rough shape. I have been on a tear w zip ties. First I bought a bag at the dollar store that turned out to be too brittle..too bad cause they were the perfect size. I went all over town without much luck and ended getting taken for about $10 for a bag of 100 ties at the hardware store. Those turned out to be brittle also, cracking most times before I could even pull the ties tight. I replaced that bag with for another from the hardware store, but they were brittle also. I found a few ones within the bag that were solid enough to stay in one piece, and after breaking about 40 I managed to get the transom held in place enough for me to put some temporary screws in and make it solid. I stitched up the stem resorting to bailing wire in a few spots because I could not get the zip ties to pull tight without snapping. From there I inserted the center bulkhead, and then the bulkheads in front and back which have the same flair but are an inch narrower. I screwed in the center bulkhead, and did my best to position the ones in front and back. Ill come thru tommorrow and screw those together to free up some clamps to hold the adjustable formers in place.ill start lofting the final temp former dimensions so i can fine tune the shape before I flip it and trace the hull.

Water is on the rise. been paddling the greys and gros ventre. last few days lunch counter wave came and went and had a few epic surf sessions. Off to the city of rocks this weekend on a climbing adventure. More next week!








No comments:

Post a Comment