Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Selway

Just got back from 5 days in paradise on idahos Selway river. The tl picked up a cancellation a few weeks back after coming home from the bar at 1:00am. I hopped on the trip 3 days prior to the launch. We kept it nice and simple. Three rafts and minimal but sufficient group gear for 11 people. 5 kayaker s in all, all paddling loaded creek boats except me. I packed very light and got all my gear into a watershed Yukon 70 l and stuffed it on a raft  while I paddled my riot air 55, a 6' playboat. Turns out that was a wise decision because there was surf everywhere...little surf, pocket waves, and some big monsters.. I think I ran most of the river backwards cause I was catching so much surf. Huge surf in a few of the larger class IV rapids. I caught big surfs in goat creek, double drop, and wolf creek. Awesome! Camping and the river corridor was fantastic and the only people we ran into was a group of 4 who passed us at ham...There were on a 2 days schedule. Levels were great.. 3.7' at paradise when we put on and it slowly dropped to just over 3' by the last day. Water was crystal clear the whole way. We caught a lap on the lochsa on the way home and I got a nice surf session at pipeline wave. Good friends, great camping, awesome trip. Can't wait to come back. If I ever pull a permit I may try and get a self support crew, layover at tony point, and hike up moose creek  a full day to experience a seldom run, wilderness gem. If someone ever asks u on a Selway trip, just go, worry about the rest later, u won't regret it!

Paradise boat ramp



Camp on river left below ping pong alley 




Tony Point camp




Moose creek


This tree tried to grow in adverse conditions but fire got the best of it


Double drop





Ladle






Clothes line at Tony Point


Tango Bar camp




Teepee Creek camp


Fog in the river corridor 




No comments:

Post a Comment