Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Scribe and cut

Today I did more awful cutting and sanding of fiberglass...yuck. This morning I found some 16 ft stock in the old wood shed, and cut a few thin battens for lofting . First up was the chine dish...1" deep with the high point being at the oar locks at the center of the sheer line. I clamped the pieces together, and clamped them to the panel at the ends and center. I marked 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 points of the arc and used those points to align the batten. I scribed the line then sighted down it til it was fair to my eye. I redid the line over and over until it became a nice thick tight arc. Once I had it where I wanted it, I came thru with the jigsaw. I then came thru first with the orbital sander to whack obvious high spots. Then came thru with the block with long strokes to level the curve. Again I eyed out the curve until it was pretty fair. I Recut the transom line as I realized my panel was about 1" longer than 17'. Rather than deviate from my already planned lines from the model, I cut the transom to the right size. Once I had the first panel cut to shape and mostly fair, I scribed all my sheer line measurements, and plotted lines aligning 90 degrees off the chine and sheer line, so I could decide later where to align bulkhead panels.

After scribing the first panel, I flipped it and aligned it with my other panel. As I mentioned before. I messed up and glassed the wrong side. What I did was flip the panel over since it was uncut and had the same taper. The chine line cut I had made originally was pretty close but not exact. It now becomes the sheer line when I flip the panel. Compared to the factory edge my panel was not perfect. I used a fence and a jigsaw on a few spots that were really high, then took the block and faired it out. I got the two panels to where the sheer lines matches almost exactly. I then clamped the two panels together so they couldn't shift, and traced the finished panel. I made quick work of cutting the second panel with the jigsaw staying just outside my scribe line. I aligned the panels again on the sheer and took the block to the chine line stem and transom. I faired all edges level and smooth. I then sighted done the arc of the chine and tried to get it as close to fair as possible. It's not perfect but looks pretty good. Faired out the transom and stem cuts.

About ready to think about stitching. Before I do though, ill come thru and make sure all those small delams at the edge of the panel get filled with a little resin and clamped. Tommorow ill make the parts for the 3 piece temporary stem. Since the stem has an arc, ill use a few triangles backed by a thin flat piece of stock. This will hold the v on the stem in place when I zip tie the stem together. Ill also make a fake transom to hold the shape of the back panel. Ill wrap it in visqueen before I install it so I can use it as a mold and foam and glass over it for the transom. I'm also thinking about using one of those chip board panels to make a small cart for around the shop that will also double as my saw horse/strong back when I flip the boat over gotta find some burly casters. tomorrow is a new day, more stuff still to do. She'll look like boat soon tho.













No comments:

Post a Comment