Monday, May 20, 2013

Its all coming together

Well, rainy weekend canceling our climbing trip. And the weather left no choice but to head to the river or go crazy. Ran 2 grow ventre laps on Friday afternoon, and headed to the Teton river in Idaho for some exciting class IV-V water. I managed to get some boat work done this weekend wiring in the lines. I had a plan for the bow going in, and only one frame really needed a little adjust ment to work. I ended up rolling the boats naturaul curve in the section between the flat spot former and the front wide bulkhead. My original model idea pushed a little too much width into the floor. This of course lessened the flair and the bow rocker, I went just barely wider than the panel wanted to be on its own at the flow, and pushed the gunwales out a bit until I got the fair curve on the sheer line I was looking for. In the back I kind of went in without much of a plan. Some of my models got close to what I wanted, but I decided I wanted to play full scale to figure it out. On its own, the rocker profile was about what I wanted. I pushed a little width at the sheer line, but tried to keep a fair curve. At the floor, I pushed the adjustable formers just wider than where they wanted to sit on their own. This little bit of additional flair pushed a little excess rocker in the stern. I'm still not where I want to be on transom rocker, still about an inch shy of where i wanted the rocker profile  to be. When I originally designed the boat I wanted a wider rear end, so I made a wider transom to carry width thru the stern more. Seems when I added the dish I really reduced my rocker, so I may trim some width from the transom. This will pull a little rocker into the very rear of the boat but since the shape is there already it will keep the width I had in the center section. Also my center former somehow ended up about 1/2" shy of 54" at the widest point. The bulkheads front and rear of it that make the flat spot are also about a 1/2" shy. I will probably add 1/4" shims to the center bulkhead sides. This will add a bit of width in the center section, make my big flattish spot a little less flat and put a touch more rocker in the tips I bit. When I have it where I like ill bolt everything together and square it up to flip over.

I got very lucky and was able to jump on a Selway trip leaving we'd morning. I'm out of here for a few days of epic Idaho whitewater. The Selway has been atop my list of wilderness multidays to do. The permitting make the Selway one of the most difficult rivers to get on. Only one trip a day launches and the season is short. Compound that with high water and it makes the season even shorter. Flows are looking to be just below high water so hoping for some exciting class IV fun








No comments:

Post a Comment